Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Hormesis, Gettingstronger.org and The Deconditioning Diet

Hormesis, ever heard of it?  Probably not.  I'd never heard of it until I listened to the latest podcast at robbwolf.com.  For those who don't know, Robb Wolf is the renouned author of The Paleo Solution.

The guest of this podcast talked about a website called gettingstronger.org and it's philosophy of "hormesis".  Hormesis, as far as I understand it, is the idea that increasing one's exposuer to stressor's slowly over time, can in fact re-wire pathways in the brain and rest of the body to make us stronger.  Ironically enough, if you have read my last blog post, I was working on not being so reactive towards one of my bosses.  This website has the potential to provide me with a way to do that through applying the pricipals of hormesis.

This brings me to my next topic. gettingstronger.org's "Deconditioning Diet".  This diet is designed to help eliminate or control cravings and put a stop to so-called "emotional eating"- something I've learned I still do from time to time, usually during periods of high stress.  And yes, even after doing Primal Blueprint for as long as I have, I still get cravings.  What I crave has shifted from largely sweets to things like hard-boiled eggs or prime ribe, but that intense "need" for some sort of food is still there and I do not wish to be controlled by this.

So, as of today, I am doing a deconditioning diet.  Bye-bye cookies, fudge, and all the other crap foods from the holidays; welcome, wholsome real foods and freedom from cravings (at least I hope).

The first "phase" of the diet is involves just following a low-carb diet iwth three scheduled meals and no snacking for at least a week.  This is were I'll be starting since I did fall off the Primal wagon this weekend.  Even though, I'll be following Primal Blueprint again, I will be leaving out more foods than usual.  Eggs will be one of these food.  I know I've loved the eggs I make for breakfast, but the lictins in them may still be causing me digestive problems.

The last part of phase one is making a craving log where you note all your cravings: the time and date. nature of the craving (general hunger or a specific food) and speculate what could have caused the craving.  I've already used mine twice today.

That being said, let's get down to business!  Updates to come in the future.

Sayonara!

No comments:

Post a Comment